I

Photobucket

I am a musician, and because of that, I have been continuously exposed to high levels of sound. After every rehearsal and presentation it was normal to perceive a strong humming in my ears, which used to disappear some hours later. However in 1992 I suffered a acoustic accident in a recording studio that brought ominous consequences for my health. Following, I’m going to describe what happened in that moment and what came later:


THE BEGINNING


- In June 1992 I had an accident in a recoding studio while I was using a headset. After an error in the handling of the sound equipment on behalf of the sound operator, a “feedback” (acute and extremely loud noise) was transmitted through the headset.

- A few days later, a buzzing sound appeared in my left ear, and the right ear followed soon afterwards. Likewise, my sensibility to sounds begun to appear, and eventually spread to environmental noise, especially those from the street.

- The medical diagnosis was “hyperacusis” caused by acoustic trauma. It was in a moderate level and the advice was to use ear protection.


THE DEVELOPMENT


- Since then, I constantly used ear protection. Both the buzzing (tinnitus) as well as the hyperacusis were moderate accompanied by events of increased sensibility that lasted maximum ten days.

- During 2004, I traveled out of the country and lived four months in a much less noisier city than Lima. I returned in a better shape. My sensibility and tinnitus had reduced considerably. However, the following year, after another acute exposure to sound which took place at home, the buzzing and sensibility problems returned.

- In 2006 after continuous and unexpected exposures to loud sounds in several musical activities, my situation worsen considerably and became severe in only 7 months.

- In November of that year, because of the inability to tolerate every day sounds, my isolation at home begun with a high level of hyperacusis and tinnitus, that were getting worse every day.


That confinement implied for me the beginning of hell. In next posts I will talk in detail about this period and how I could leave that stage little by little.

Now, I am still in process of recovery and beg God to allow me to get better as soon as possible.

Comments

Popular Posts