Welcome


Dear friends,

This blog was created to share with you my experiences in living with Hyperacusis, a lifestyle that I have succumbed to for several years now. So you may wonder, what does it mean to suffer from Hyperacusis?

Imagine the sounds made by dishes and utensils, the sounds made by water falling while taking a shower, or the voices of people during a conversation... it all sounds as if someone was hammering your ears with a chisel. Or imagine perceiving the sound of the refrigerator, the microwave, or even the fan in your computer, all sounding as if you were standing right next to a powerful electrical generator. That’s Hyperacusis.

Since I began to suffer from hyperacusis, I’ve constantly lived escaping from the extreme environmental noises. With time, my condition worsened, and I found myself a prisoner from all sounds, even though I’ve been confined – imprisoned - in my own home.

To make matters worse, tinnitus (humming) appeared. This is a constant and permanent buzzing I feel in my ears that due to its intensity and diversity, would stagger me without mercy.

However, in the mist of this sonorous inferno, where the most delirious metaphors of sound became real, what seemed to be an additional condemnation, finally turned out to be my best resource: art, my previous life as a musician, had given me the necessary musical sense to be able to bear the many disturbing sounds.

Since not much is known about this ailment, I have decided to put up this blog, in the hopes that it may be useful to other people also suffering with hyperacusis (and/or tinnitus), and in general, for anyone who, in a preventive way, may wish to become informed on the matter.


Julio

Comments

Popular Posts