The beginning of "hell" - 3/3

Photobucket

Hyperacusis (second part)

I had to stop working completely. My sensitivity to sounds prevented me from listening to music, watching TV (with sound), nor even using the computer, which produced a sound that was hurtful when its fan went on. I couldn’t use the microwave, nor even stand close to the refrigerator when its fan was running.

When I was exposed to these sounds the bussing increased so much that it was painful. Sometimes, when I a high frequency occurred (like a telephone ring), my ears produced immediately, one or more repetition of that sound, like an echo.

I couldn’t also have conversations in a normal sound level because I cannot tolerate even the sound of my own voice. After some time I had to communicate with people by writing instead of speaking.

I had an acute sensitivity to noises such as the colliding of dishes, automobile horns, sirens, alarms, dogs barking, children yelling, adults talking, etc. Even the “click” sound of the light switch bothered me. The noise produced by running water (taking a shower, washing hands, etc) was also unbearable.

I felt a strong resonance (sounds like a car’s horn) in both ears, sometimes accompanied with pain, when I chewed foods that were hard or crunchy, but especially when I swallowed food, liquids or saliva, when I talked or laughed, when people talked to me, when I coughed or when I yawned.

My sensitivity was extremely acute in the outer ears and the surrounding areas; this was why shaving, washing my hair, cleaning my teeth and ears became particularly difficult. [@]

Comments

Popular Posts